Re: Presence via Me Menu

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 03:53, Apoorva Sharma <appi2012@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To me, insensitive items are very dangerous. The only use case should be
> for expressing functionality that has been disabled by a user action, that
> is, insensitive items should appear to the user without the user making them
> so. Otherwise, the user is only confused about how the functionality will be
> enabled, or wonder why space is being wasted by this unnecessary item. Items
> that have no functionality until the user enables them should simply not be
> shown until enabled.

yeah, insensitive items have their disadvantages.
In this particular case, the advantage is, that you know where to find them,
and you can verify that, even when they are disabled. A central point for
broadcasting about "Me", setting the Presence state for "Me" and changing
information and account settings for "Me" is a viable concept, that can help
the novice user find her way through Ubuntu's DE.

> For the MeMenu, I think that there should be a button to turn on chat, and
> only when turned on should the state changing buttons be shown. With this
> system, showing "offline" is unnecessary, because that would simply mean
> turning chat off, and thus the on/off switch would provide the
> functionality.

if the ON/OFF switch you are proposing (i like) were to be positioned above
the insensitive state items, it would be easy to discover how Presence items
and "Chat ON/OFF" relate..
In that case, it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to hide the Presence
items, when Chat is off.
Personally, i can imagine both cases to be cool..