Re: Global Menu on the Desktop

On 1 November 2010 13:59, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 14:40, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> To reiterate, I understand the reasoning for the global menu on netbooks,
>> and I totally agree. Why is a global menu better on a modern high-resolution
>> or multiple-monitor desktop than the current system?
>>
>> Luke.
>>

> because.
> * it cleans up the application window

Well, it frees up a little vertical space if that's what you mean.

> * it removes redundancy from the desktop

How? We still need individual application menus, but instead we have to
focus the correct window to get to them. Those menus aren't redundant they
are just being hidden where they are more difficult to get to.

> * it makes the entire desktop surface cleaner

Well, this is really your first point, I don't see where it makes anything
but the windows cleaner. If anything on the desktop it makes the panel
cluttered.

> * it's easier to do innovation on 1 global AppMenu than on every app's
> individual menu

True. But if the single menu is a step backwards, we're innovating on
something suboptimal.

None of those things make up for the extra mouse travel, multiple monitor
issues and increased window focusing/clicking.

Luke.