Why are the MeMenu and the messaging applet two separate things?

I originally sent this as a question for Askubuntu, but got no reply:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/10688/why-are-the-memenu-and-the-messaging-applet-two-separate-things

"When I look at them, their functionality seems to overlap so much that they
could almost be merged:

   - The MA is used to open Gwibber, but the MM is used to set the accounts
   and broadcast messages.
   - The MA is used to open Empathy, but the MM is used to set the accounts
   and set a status (available, busy...).

All these could well be in different sections, either in the MA or the MM:

   - Chat (set status, accounts).
   - Mail (send mail, contacts).
   - Broadcast (send message, accounts).
   - Ubuntu One.
   - About me.

So, why the decision to split them in two different indicators, thus taking
extra space in the panel?"

Follow ups