Re: File menu

Hi appi, nice thinking!
How about ...

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 23:19, appi2012@xxxxxxxxx <appi2012@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> |[App Name]|[Doc Type]| Edit | Tools | Help |

 having App Icon first?

>    - [App Name]: e.g. "Rhythmbox." This menu contains everything to do
>    with the entire application. In general, it would contain the "View" menu as
>    a submenu, "Plugins," "Preferences," "About," "Close," and "Quit."

that's a lot.. but the principle seems reasonable: [AppName] Menu should
contain the main functions of an application, and the option to quit.
I could agree blindly to the rest, but my guts are telling me that submenus
will lead to trouble, if not carefully designed and positioned.

>    - [Doc Type]: e.g "Music." This menu contains anything to do with the
>    stuff the application deals with. Items like "New," "Save," "Export,"
>    "Import," and "Properties"
>    - Edit: Would contain all normal items in edit except for Preferences.
>    All other items are things dealing with the editing of the file. The only
>    way preferences fits in is in the sense of "Editing Preferences." But since
>    that phrase does not work with anything else in the menu, it doesn't belong.
>    - Tools: This space is for utilities that help the user. Therefore,
>    things like "Find [& replace]" and extensions' menus belong here.
>
> We don't know whether all so many menus are actually necessary.. If at all,
then it depends strongly on the App, what names i would give to menu 2 and
menu 3 etc..

>    - Help: This menu is for access to manuals. Figuring out the version of
>    softwares I'm running has nothing to do with Helping, so it doesn't belong
>    here.

Help should always be available imo. I also think that Help should be an
Indicator Menu, not part of the application menu or of GlobalMenu.