From: Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Ayatana] Graceful degradation of Unity
Date: Monday, December 13, 2010, 10:35 AM

Unity requires 3d compositing.  For those without adequate hardware, it falls back to the GNOME Panels.  While I understand for this cycle effort should be put into getting Unity functioning, I think for the future a better fallback should be created. For one the GNOME Panels won't be supported forever so it's not a viable alternative in the long run.  Two, the UI change from Unity/Panels is drastic.  Look at Windows 7, if the user can't enable the compositing, the UI is still similar, it doesn't reset to an XP style of UI.