Re: unity and notifications

On 16/09/10 16:25, Conscious User wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 13:29 +0100, Luke Benstead a écrit :
>>
>> On 15 September 2010 17:25, Greg K Nicholson <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>         On 15 September 2010 16:54, Conscious User
>>         <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>         > I know it's the space for the confirmation bubbles, but I
>>         think it
>>         > would be much better if those appeared in another place
>>         entirely,
>>         > like a bottom corner.
>>

>>         I've suggested before that synchronous notifications (e.g.
>>         volume)
>>         should appear horizontally centred. Then the asynchronous
>>         notifications (IM etc.) can appear immediately below the top
>>         panel, at
>>         the right.
>>
>>         No-one has come up with any drawback whatsoever to this design
>>         —yet ;)
>>         --
>>         Greg
>>

>> That's definitely the best solution I've heard yet. Why are we not
>> doing that?
>>
>> Luke.
> As a matter of fact, because the confirmation bubbles have a fixed
> size, they can be placed pretty much anywhere with little issues.
>
> If I were to guess the reason of the current placement, is that the
> designers believe that giving the user two different places from
> which bubbles can come from is confusing. Can someone confirm?

We want to keep notifications and indicators in relatively close
proximity. Synchronous (keyboard-response, user-generated,
self-overwriting) notifications like volume-up and -down are on top,
because that area has more precious content (firefox search, for
example) than the area just below it, and because they are fixed-size,
where the async ones are variable-size.

Mark