Re: Evolution indicator

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 07:11, <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree that it makes sense for a gnome-panel desktop to have consistency
> in things that "should" hide away in the messaging menu.
>
> But with unity, is it still useful to have apps that hide from the windows
> list as it's now a launcher that can gracefully handle a lot of data without
> inducing visual clutter?

If you want indicators to continue to be adopted upstream, the solution to
problem with them can't be "Just use our desktop environment." It's bad
enough these don't work with gnome-shell (yet, I'm still hoping somebody's
working on that).

The fact that an evolution window has to be open somewhere for you to get
mail notifications to work is a problem that keeps getting reported by users
frequently.

Here's my take on it:

Message notifications tell me when I need to have my messages open. When I'm
done, I close my messaging app (behind the scenes, it's getting hidden).
When I get another notification, I open my messaging app again (either by
running it in the menu, or by selecting the message in the messaging menu).

Email notifications tell me when I need to have my email open. When I'm
done, I close my email app (which should NOT stop me from getting email
notifications). When I get another notification (which I don't right now,
because the previous step broke them), I open my email app again (either by
running it in the menu, or by selecting the message in the messaging menu).

This remains a glaring inconsistency, and to date is still the most annoying
thing about the messaging menu to me.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: -= jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-