Tiling and Floating window management in compiz (was: Put a resize widget in the title bar)

This should probably be in a new thread, so reposting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Put a resize widget in the title bar
To: Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ayatana List <ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

forgive me for sending 4 in a row on this thread..
here's a mockup of what i think, attached.
it's actually a screenshot, just imagine the possibilities!
the resize grab handle would have to be touch-friendly
perhaps big enough to host an animation on it on horizontal mouse
drag, e.g. a spinning rim (themeable animation,like Wanda the Fish¹ :D
)
putting an animation on it that moves as the handle is dragged would
be additional feedback on the human interface operation, such stuff
"feels" good to touch.
the mockup at hand portays a movie on the left and a nautilus window
on the right.
other possible combinations:
* Word Processor on the left, web dictionary on the right.
* hacking in Terminal on the left, looking at the outcome on the right
* Lifera on the left, Facebook on the right
* The Gimp on the left, $HOME/Pictures/Screenshots
...etc
i can think of a zillion cool applications of having this possibility in Compiz.
I just don't think it will be easy to design this, if you try to
overlay floating and tiling WM concepts for > 2 "panes".
¹ http://www.fifi.org/doc/gnome-help-data/html/fish_applet/C/index.html

--
Sam Spilsbury