Re: Killing ourselves softly with our own song?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:05, Lance <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like to begin with a quote from Ivanka Majic here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/628087/comments/31
>
> "The installation experience should be attractive and effortless to
> reassure new users that Ubuntu is the right choice. The process should feel
> safe and should only highlight risk when necessary (e.g. when data will be
> destroyed)."
>
> Unfortunately the 10.10 installer has resulted in the loss of existing
> operating systems and data:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/655950

Yeah, that's a painful experience.
Formerly, geeks would setup Ubuntu on their grandma's computer, and they
would have gone through an autodidactic school on non-destructive
partitioning before that.
Today, everybody is being invited to dualboot, and i don't know if that is
such a good thing, if the software is only safe when used by someone with a
drivers license