Re: how could we switch better between windows?

On 15 March 2011 22:34, David <david.reichling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> i am currently trying to figure out a nice method to switch between
> windows.
> At the moment i have this:
> http://unity.exemo.net/7/
> Click on firefox to see it in action.
> I already like this one.
> But what could we do when:
>  - there is 1 window open (okay probably switching to it)
>  - there are only 2 windows open?
>  - there are 10 windows open (or even 20)
> Do you have any ideas?

For convenience I am giving the sub dash a name - "Display Dash". Well... I
think -

- In case of one window, you do not need this Display Dash.
- In case of two windows, just display the names just like current one. In
the list there will be only 2 names. Instead of starting the list from the
top, you can start it from the center of the left side. (like this
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8283/screenshotm.png)
- In case of 10 windows, just put a scrollbar in the right side to the list,
so that all windows can be scrolled.

The design is very good. I think the website address can be removed from the
list, only favicon and site page title is better. Also can you please try
with a thinner border for the Display Dash. I think the thinner border will
make it better.

> Another problem could be that an application don't set his title very good.
> (just an example) gedit set his title to "some unnamed document 1",
> we have 4 new documents open.
> when we want to switch we get:
> some unnamed doc...
> some unnamed doc...
> some unnamed doc...
> some unnamed doc...
> Would it be technically possible to get in that case something like:
> some unnamed ... 1
> some unnamed ... 2
> some unnamed ... 3
> some unnamed ... 4
>
> May be possible but why do we need that? You can do one thing though.
Several windows from same program can be given a number in front of it. In
your case:
(1) some unnamed doc...
(2) some unnamed doc...
(3) some unnamed doc...
(4) some unnamed doc...
But I do not see any need of this thing.

--
M. Adnan Quaium