Re: why global menubar/application menu isn't such a great idea

Le 05/04/2011 14:47, nick rundy a écrit :
> There are a lot of other applications that benefit from the additional
> space afforded by merging the titlebar and menubar into the panel
> besides the web-browser. Nautilus, media players, music players, word
> processors, e-mail clients, text editors, burning software, etc. Not
> all applications place tabs over the titlebar. Most applications waste
> enormous space by devoting a whole line to just a few menu items. Also
> please note that even if the web-browser places tabs over the titlebar
> it does not provide any additional vertical space when compared to
> Unity. For example, Unity has the 1.) panel, 2.) web-browser tabbar,
> and 3.) web-browser URL bar. A default install of Windows has the 1.)
> Windows taskbar, 2.) web-browser URL bar, and 3.) web-browser tabbar,
> and 4.) the titlebar if the tabs are not placed over it. Apple Mac is
> even worse. It has titlebar and a bottom Dock.
>
> Unity's design is the best of the three and the most useful for
> creating vertical space.

> From: giffgilll@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 15:24:53 +0000
> Subject: [Ayatana] why global menubar/application menu isn't such a
> great idea
>
> Here are some reasons why I think the application menu in unity as it
> is now
> is a failed attempt at improving the user experience in Ubuntu.
>
> 1) Primary target of Ubuntu Unity are _net_books, accordingly the most
> important
> application is going to be the browser as repeatedly pointed out here:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/383
> <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/383%20>
>
> The two most relevant browsers for Ubuntu Unity are Firefox 4 and
> Chromium.
> Both do not need or have a classic menubar, instead both, when run in
> full screen
> mode (the layout that makes the most sense on small screens) put the
> tabs on top.
>
> Why do they do that? Because tabs are the most frequently accessed
> interface
> elements of a browser chrome. At the screen edge they are easy and
> fast to access.
> Additionally it makes a lot of sense logically, metaphorically or
> mentally to use the tabs
> as the hierarchically primary element.
>
> All interfaces that put a OS level "bars" at the upper screen edge
> limit the usability of
> these two browsers, the menubar reduces the space available for web
> content
> which is directly contradicting the explicit goal of Unity.
>
> I filled a bug for this here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/749335
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/749335%20>
> I think this can be solved by replacing the application menu with tabs
> in the panel
> [...]
I agree that... For maximised windows.
    I still don't see why using a global menu on non-maximised windows.
Even for consistency it's useless : if the menu bar is in the panel
*just for maximised* windows, every windows will have it's menu just
over their body --> logical for most of end-users. Vertical space gain
is still here. You have less move to do with your mouse (imagine for
menus of a window in the bottom right corner...).
    If there is one good reason to have menus of un-maximised windows in
the panel, then explain it to me.

--
Kévin PEIGNOT -------------- Envoyé depuis thunderbird - Ubuntu 11.04