Re: Awesome critical review of Unity

This is a very real problem and one that I think needs resolving, though my
solution may be too complex to implement before Natty is released. In my
opinion merging the title bar of maximised windows with the panel is
absolutely brilliant, it saves a ton of otherwise wasted vertical space and
is also just really cool. Furthermore, merging the menu bar with the
panel/titlebar hybrid of maximised windows is another stroke of genius,
again saving loads of vertical space.

However, putting the menubar of restored windows in the panel just causes so
many problems that are in no way made up for by any purported speed boost
(though I would argue this itself is far outweighed by the jarring
disconnect between window and menu: I personally keep my empathy window in
the bottom-right of my 17" laptop screen and using its menus certainly isn't
faster when I have to travel down to the window, click to focus it, travel
to the other corner of the screen and click the menu). On the other hand, I
like the fact that it saves space by getting rid of the menu bar. Again, I
keep my empathy conversation windows stacked on top of the empathy window on
the right-hand side of the screen so not having menu bars gives me 40-odd
extra pixels to play with. As far as I'm concerned the only sensible
solution is this:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/unity-mockup-menu-integrated-in-window.html ,
which I will keep banging on about because it's so brilliant.

Andrea Azzarone's mockup means that we still save the same amount of screen
space without having to click on each window separately and then travel
somewhere else entirely on the screen to use the menu (particularly good for
something like the main empathy window where you're probably not constantly
interacting with it). This probably also means it would be quicker to access
than the current set up, or at the very least, no slower than the previous
behaviour which we've all put up with since time immemorial.

Furthermore, we could keep the panel acting as the titlebar of non-focused,
maximised windows and no longer have it acting as some sort of weird hybrid
that half belongs to one window and half belongs to another.

Thanks,

Christian Mackintosh