Launcher and Panel Overlap

I wonder why the launcher and the top panel overlap in unity. The logic
behind removing panels and having a dock on the left is apparently
saving vertical screen real-estate. The top panel is only partially used: a
few icons on the far right and one single icon on the far left. Even with
the global menu enabled not all the panel space is utilized. In the attached
picture you can see that this could be implemented much better. I've done
this using AWN (it's not a mock-up, it's my own ubuntu remaster called AriOS
http://arioslinux.org). When you maximize a window the icons sit nicely on
top of the window title bar.
The launcher also shouldn't be expanded IMHO. the reason for this is that
even if you have a maximized window you can still use the free space below
the launcher to right-click on the desktop or extract or drag and drop files
to the desktop.