Re: Let's have the launcher phagocytize the new system tray

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:32, Peterson Silva <peterson.235@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Well, this inspired me. Do we really need the system tray when similar
> things can be achieved through the launcher now?

what system tray are you referring to?
perhaps re-read this excellent article by mpt to revive the topic a little..
http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/

> The same goes for, say, Transmission (when not launched, right-clicking
> would only show regular menu; after it's launched, right-click would show
> indicator menu), Ejecter (I'm currently using it, that's why I had the
> idea), keyboard layout, messaging menu... Everything!

appindicators were a transitional solution for migrating the systray-icons
with all the functionality they had to the new category-based Ayatana status
indicator menu system. Giving Appindicators the prominence you suggest would
be elevating them from a transitional concept to a permanent solution,
which, imo, they do not deserve.

> Shut down button, with all its options, could also become an icon in the
> launcher (something not removable, like the rubbish bin is right now).

to be perfectly honest, i would prefer for the power button to remain a
hardware thing, but as it is right now, i can live with it being duplicated
in the DE's UI for the moment.

> I guess it would be better to keep the clock in the panel, though.

yeah, altogether i think the panel must be gotten rid of at some point.

we don't need to forsake a whole bar of display space permanently, only to
but a bgcolor behind a bunch of monochrome icons.