Re: Thoughts on Unity design

It's about impossible to use "focus follows mouse" and multiple windows
with the global menu, which makes it unusable for me.

Am Donnerstag, den 19.05.2011, 10:42 +0200 schrieb Niklas Rosenqvist <niklas.s.rosenqvist@xxxxxxxxx>:
I don't know if they spoke about it at UDS since I wasn't attending
and I myself don't think that the global menu improves anything except
less desktop clutter, but at the cost of making it crippled. And I
think that both Fitt's law and Steering law may be applicable since
both laws are used for human-computer interaction.

2011/5/19 Ralph Green

On 5/18/11, Niklas Rosenqvist  wrote:
 > Thanks for your thoughts Ralph! That statement you quoted was just
after the
 > 11.04 release and since then I've completely changed my mind about
the
 > global menu bar which you can see in more recent discussions.
Though there
 > have been some proposed solutions to the menu bar problem together
with
 > large monitors:

 Niklas,
  What a relief.  I stayed away from the lists since I started
using
 Unity.  My impressions of it were so bad that I thought I needed to
 force myself to give it more time for a fair chance.  After more
than
 2 months, I thought it was time.  I am glad to see that there is
 active discussion and the topic has not been shut off.  I spent the
 last hour going through lots of Ayatana email. I am now curious
about
 3 things.
  1. Did any decisions get made at UDS about the global menu for
Oneiric?
  2. MPT seems to think the global menu is quicker, even on large
 screens.   That is certainly not my experience.  My screen is not
even
 that large.  It is a 1600 by 1200 pixel 20 inch LCD. If I had a 30
 inch screen, like I keep reading about, the problem would be much
 worse. I measured the distance I have to go and find that it is
 typically 4 to 8 times as far to get to the global menu.  Since the
 time scales roughly as log to the base 2 of the distance, it takes
2.5
 times as long.  It also requires me to pick up the mouse an extra
time
 or two because I ran out of mousable area on my desk, which makes it
 more than 2.5.  It is much quicker to use a menu in the app.  The
 question is how typical am I?
  3. Why do people keep referring to Fitt's law.  It does not apply
 2 dimensions, as best as I can tell.  Shouldn't the discussion be
 about steering law?
 Ralph

Links:
------