Re: Windows 8 and OS X Lion observations

Hi Ed,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 23:46, Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's always interesting to see with what solutions others come up to
> exactly the same problems. In the last days both Microsoft and Apple
> let us cast a closer look at their next OS versions.
>
> If you missed them:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnEndww2YQ and shorter
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aaduuWTvo

thanks for the links!

> You know the windows snap feature, in Win8 you can resize both windows
> with a single handler. A pretty obvious feature which would be nice
> having.

tiling. (compiz:tile plugin)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/695251/comments/6
i pray someone will have the skill and courage to code that right.

In full screen apps there is no "information area" (clock and hardware
> stats). If they can pull that off the "wing panel" that stays below
> the maximized wind as discussed in "Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot
> (11.10)" could be an interesting solution for with applications such
> as Chromium/Firefox with tabs on top. A click in a screen corner for
> example could bring it temporarily to the foreground. If you think
> about it, hidden information that is very easy to unhide and that
> doesn't have to be visible all the time (if you are working on
> something it's often just distraction) seems sensible to me.

Wingpanel is a great step ahead, it needs some design love i guess, but it's
really cool to have an indicator-only panel, no noisy appmenu and no wasted
space along the top screen edge.

Full screen apps: see how the top panel slides out? They too do
> without a clock and other always on indicators, the desktop is just
> one swipe away anyway, i.e. it's back as fast as you can move your
> eyes from the current activity to the top right.

some application developers don't see the need for a full screen mode:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/562276
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/543953
perhaps using an application is a totally different experience from
developing it.

 On another note: "Launchpad". Sue them! :P

hehe ;)