Re: gnome-control-center in oneiric

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Owas Lone <hello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was just searching for an gnome-control-center API and found this,
>
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00096.html
>
> It suggest that 3rd party devs can't push their settings UI to the
> gnome-control-center.
>
> Are we OK with this? The new control center is one of the best new
> things in Gnome3 and not letting other apps use it is a terrible Idea
> IMO.
>

> --
> Owais Lone
> hello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.owaislone.org

Yup, this completely destroys one of the best integration point for
apps. OSX allows 3rd party apps to add their entries in the "Other"
category.

A simple solution would be either to allow 3rd parties to add their
panels in the "3rd party software" category ala OSX but that would
completely eliminate the nice category based view since it would only
clutter the "3rd party software" category.

A better way IMO would be to simply add a "3rd party software" badge
to non-GNOME-default panels if GNOME is so much worried about diluting
their experience. Which is funny considering that GNOME isn't an end
user distributor for their DE but Ubuntu, Debian etc. are.

Ah well another bizarre GNOME proposal.