Re: Middle Click Feature For Indicators

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 20:15 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> Those are very interesting ideas/proposals. I was actually
> a little worried when I read about this, but as long as its
> just a shortcut to the most frequently used menu item
> provided by an indicator, I think it's ok. However...  How do
> we guarantee that this will be consistent between indicators?
> If it's only available for system indicators, then I think that
> creates an inconsistency itself. But if it's also available to
> appindicators, then how will the middle click action be
> "governed"?

It is available for application indicators, and it's governed rather
simply.  The action has to be a visible menu item that is in the menu.
If you hide it, it doesn't work.  If you remove it, it doesn't work.
This way the middle click always remains a power user feature, but not a
hidden feature.  And machines without middle click will never loose
functionality.

As far as which item is chosen, I'm happy to let application authors
play with that.  They know their applications better than I believe we
ever will.

In the end, I expect that OMG Ubuntu readers will know what every middle
click will do and we'll never be able to do a usability study on it
because no normal user will ever find it :-)

		--Ted