Exploring alternatives for making the Home Button more obvious

It looks like a slight adaptation of Evan Huus' mockup is making its
way into Oneiric.
https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg05586.html

I'm curious, what is the justification behind this change, versus some
other way of solving the "Dash/Home Button isn't obvious" problem
(http://design.canonical.com/2011/04/unity-benchmark-usability-april-2011/)?
 The bug report (http://pad.lv/764771) doesn't seem to have any
discussion attached to it, and I think Evan's is the only mailing list
thread that talks about it at any length.

I just feel uncertain that all the alternatives have been explored here:

What if the Home Button were orange?
What if it were more curved with a stronger gradient to have a more
button-like appearance?
What if it glowed when the mouse cursor hovered over it?
What if its importance were more strongly emphasized in the
installation slideshow?
What if the system started with the mouse cursor hovering over the
Home Button, just as Mac OS X starts with the mouse cursor hovering
their Apple button?
What about this other mockup?:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/unity-shell/+spec/better-ubuntu-button-bfb

And these are just a few ideas...

I share the concern with some people that moving the Home Button into
the launcher de-emphasizes its centrality to the Unity Shell, and it
seems to me that some more subtle changes might accomplish the same
thing without breaking the expectations of people who have already
gotten used to Natty.

-Jay