Re: reduce the font and ui size

2011/10/16 nick rundy <nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>  I've had the opposite experience with Windows. I find the Windows font
> painfully small and scanty.
>
> It's always refreshing to get to use Ubuntu with ubuntu-font because I feel
> like the font size and everything is sized just right. One of the things I
> like about Ubuntu over Windows is how, in my opinion, ubuntu sizes
> everything just right.
>
> I guess we have the opposite impressions/experiences.

Then again I'm somewhere in the middle ground. If find default Windows fonts
too small (Tahoma 8.75pt and Segoe UI 9.25pt) and default Ubuntu fonts too
large (Ubuntu 11pt). To my eyes, the middle ground of Ubuntu 10pt is
somewhere close to perfect.

Funnily enough, every single Ubuntu user I know immediately reduces font
sizes to 10pt after install. My most common support request for 11.10 is
"how do I change fonts", followed by "how do I change themes" (fortunately,
the answer is identical: gnome-tweak-tool).

This is irregardless of the monitor size and PPI. I prefer Ubuntu 10pt on my
23'' 96ppi panel, my 11.6'' 135ppi netbook and my old-school 19'' 100ppi
CRT. As someone commented above, the character spacing just feels more
natural.