Re: new proposal for notifications / indicators

David wrote on 29/11/11 21:56:

> actually we show per default:
>
> - messages (status/chat/twitter/mail/ubuntu_one)
>
> - battery
>
> - bluetooth
>
> - network
>
> - sound (volume/music)
>
> - clock
>
> - session switcher (switch user)
>
> - Power (shutdown ...)
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> - me menu - like https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeMenu or gnome-shell

Why? What problem would it be solving?

> system indicators: (hidden by default, can be shown by clicking on
> an arrow)
>
> - sound
>
> - battery
>
> - network
>
> notification indicators: (hidden by default)
>
> - messages - like http://ubuntuone.com/3pQaNx9TdpPXEZHMIjPgdP

If the messaging menu was hidden by default, what use would it be?

> - devices

How do you classify devices under "notification indicators"? What
would this notify you of?

> - updates
>
> - update all
>
> - ----------
>
> - Ubuntu
>
> - ----------
>
> - App1
>
> - App2 - ...

People didn't see the updates notification area item even when it was
shown by default. What use would it be if it was hidden? :-)

Also, a menu item wouldn't show enough information for you to be able
to decide whether you want to update a particular application.

> - progress - like
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana/ProgressIndication - ...

Why? What would be the use of collecting progress of different tasks
into a menu?

(As a comparison, should we also collect errors from different tasks
into a single menu? Why or why not? How about selected text from
different tasks? Or the most recently opened file from different tasks?)

> How it should work:
>
> - per default only the me menu should be visible.
>
> - clock: To be able to do that we need to find a new place for the
> clock. (launcher/dash?)

The Dash is hidden by default, and the launcher is usually hidden. Do
you think it is reasonable to hide the clock most of the time?

> - networking: is most of the time not needed (automatic connects at
> lan/known wlan/usb/...)
>
> - battery: is only interesting when its discharging

Your arrangement would hide it even when it is discharging.

> - sound: annoying when its hidden and you don't have hardware
> buttons

Does that mean it should be shown by default?

> - indicators are only visible when needed
>
> - you can click on an arrow to see
>
> - battery
>
> - network
>
> - sound (hides automatic when you move your mouse away from the
> panel)
>
> - we could show a number for how many notifications happened (3 in
> messages, 2 downloads, ...)
>
> - only notifications and system indicators should be allowed
>
> - To do that we need to find the use cases of the other indicators
> and find ways to handle them (i didn't really do that)
>
> - for some indicators it might be enough to use quicklist?
> (tomboy)

I agree there's no compelling reason for a note-taking application to
have its own status menu.

> - we could improve "minimize"
>
> - good for apps like opera/lernid/... that wants to hide their
> main window
>
> - every application could be hidden by minimizing it
>
> - minimized apps could be shown ass small icons at the bottom in
> the launcher
>
> - easier to have a feature to start apps "hidden" at login.

How does this relate to indicator menus?

> - not sure how other indicators like cpu scaling or desktop
> recording etc could be handled
>
> Indicators become visible/hidden when a specific notification
> happens:
>
> - Open Wireless connection found -> notification + network
> indicator fades in
>
> - connection etablished -> notification + if visible network
> indicator fades out
>
> - New mail -> notification + message indicator fades in
>
> - New chat -> notification + message indicator fades in
>
> - another new mail -> notification + updated message indicator

Do you mean that it would fade in and stay there, or that it would
fade in temporarily?

> - New Printer found. Installing... -> only notification - Driver
> for printer needed -> notification + device menu fades in -
> Printer is ready to use -> notification + if visible device
> indicator fades out

Yesterday I started writing up proposals for how various printer
events should be presented. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Printing>

> - New updates found -> notification + update indicator fades in
> (with feature to update all) - please close firefox to continue
> updates -> notification + update indicator change state
>
> - playing music -> sound menu fades in

Hmm, that seems a little bit backwards. Usually when music starts
playing, it's because you told it to play, so you don't need a
notification in that case. On the other hand, the sound menu currently
lets you quickly start music playing in the first place -- and it
wouldn't be nearly so quick if it was hidden by default.

> - audio conversation (skype and co) -> sound menu fades in
>
> - sound menu fades out when finished
>
> - ...
>
> pro
>
> - The blue icon effect is no longer needed

Hurrah. :-)

> - there was a notification when you see an icon
>
> - there was no notification when there is no icon
>
> - cleaned up top right corner
>
> - more place for menus and title (even more important on small
> screens)

I haven't yet seen an application where this is a problem. Do you know
of one?

> - better looking
>
> - Everything is about the application, you see nothing system
> releated.

Except the Me menu, and perhaps the clock somewhere.

> i think this fits good into the vision to integrate applications
> with the panel

I don't think that's a vision, really.

> contra - more clicks needed to do simple things like - changing
> volume when no hardware buttons are avaible - bluetooth -
> connecting to a network - we could always show the network
> indicator when not connected

That in particular is an interesting idea. But if you used the menu to
connect to one wi-fi network, but then realized you should have
connected to another one instead (that happened to me last week), the
menu wouldn't be there any more.

> remaining questions: - is it ok that the clock is not always
> visible?

It would be rather strange that a Me menu (that Ubuntu doesn't even
have any more!) would be visible by default, but a clock would not.

> - where should the clock be? launcher? dash? - should we show the
> network-indicator as long as you have never been connected -
> people might not know how to connect to the internet - what are
> other problems with this?
>
> I am working on a mockup (in form of a webpage) so that you can
> try it out and see how it would work/look. It should be ready in 2
> or 3 days.

I look forward to seeing it.

- --
mpt