Re: why compiz in place of mutter

On 29/01/2012 16:22, supernova wrote:
> Goodmorning (GMT+1) to all. Yesterday I tried Precise, and it works
> very good. I have seen that it is a bit slower and more fat than the
> gnome-shell, as it happened for 11.10, 11.04, ... . I guess it is due
> to compiz, which is more heavy than mutter. Why don't use mutter then?
> Unity doesn't use effects as rotation and wobbly. So mutter could be
> sufficient.

Before Unity came along, Compiz was much leaner than Mutter/GNOME Shell was,
using around 20MB of memory at any point of time, and not leaking any. After
Unity came along, Compiz's memory consumption jumped up to ~80-100MB.

If anything, Unity is why Compiz is running slower and "fatter" than previously.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin