proposal "about this computer"

Hello everyone,

Here is a proposal about the question :
"how can I know easily and quickly the basic informations about my computer ? (OS version, memory available...)"
Today, we are obliged to open "system monitor" and select the first tab.

My proposal is simple : just add a link near the dash, in the menu bar
It's similar to the "About this Mac" in the Apple menu of Mac OS X.
It's explained in 2 pictures :
http://michel.renon.free.fr/ubuntu/about_menu_1.jpg
http://michel.renon.free.fr/ubuntu/about_menu_2.jpg

1 - this is the current state of dash

2 - I propose to add a link in the menu bar

3 - when clicked, a panel opens.
It contains basic information, just like the first tab of "system monitor".
It can contains buttons to open others apps related to processes, harware, disks, diagnostics...

4 - it is a rendering with unity

5 - it is a rendering with unity, variations about the link : with a white round button, and with a white underline

6 - it is a rendering with unity2d, with radiance theme

Pro :
- easy to describe, even on the phone :
"click on the first button on the left column, then click on 'about...' in the menu bar"
- Fitts law is respected : only few pixels from the Ubuntu button
- no changes to the current Dash : it's in an unused place

Cons :
- is a link/button in the menu bar coherent ? the menu bar usually shows... menus ; should it react like a button ? or no visual feedback ?

I'll be happy to answer whatever you may ask about this.

Thanks,

Michel

Follow ups