Re: Window quicklists on the launcher application buttons

On 13/02/12 16:54, Jamu Kakar wrote:
Hi Alan,

This sounds interesting, but I guess it's be a bit slow to use since
you have to mouse to the launcher, right click, get to the window you
want, and finally click on it.
yeah, not perfect, but a window list is kind of what I expect to see when right clicking on a launcher icon, it just feels like the right thing to be there. Not sure if I am alone in expecting this behavior.
   I was just experimenting with Alt-Tab
and Alt-` to try to solve the problem you describe and discovered that
you can use them together to hone in on a particular window.  Maybe
you already know about this behaviour, but if not it might help the
situation you describe.

Try this: hold Alt and press Tab until you get to the application you
want.  Then, while continuing to hold Alt, press ` until you get to
the particular window you want.

Thanks,
J.
that does actually work, I thought it didn't, but it is a really slow way of working. Lets say I have a browser and about 15 assorted terminal windows scattered about, one of which relates to stuff I am looking at in the browser, so I want to go to that particular terminal session and then switch repeatedly between that one terminal window and the browser. I can alt-tab to the terminal application, wait for the per-window switcher to start and alt-tab round to the window I want, I then make a change and alt-tab back to the browser which has a reasonable chance of just working, refresh there and alt-tab back again and it raises all 15 terminal windows and I have lost my browser, so I alt-tab back to the browser and I then have to go find the terminal window again using the switcher, pause, switch method (alt+` does mean I don't have to wait for the pause which is good). With the quicklists I can right click the terminal icon and just choose the one I want much faster than using the switcher. I guess the real problem is that a quick alt-tab doesn't do the right thing which is bug 873082 but in the absence of a fix for that the quicklists work for me :)

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk