Re: adding a startup application is not average user friendly

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Thibaut Brandscheid <randaltor@xxxxxx> wrote:
> 'Startup Applications' is the third menu entry in the power cog menu and
> should be therefore average user friendly. No average user would search in
> the browse dialog box under /usr/bin to add a program to the startup list
> because he simply don't knows that the program binaries can be found there.
>
> If the current state is planed to be the final startup application state and
> the importance is really low then I suggest to remove the startup
> application menu entry from the power cog (better not presenting a function
> then presenting a function that is not 'usable' for an average user in the
> power cog).

Adding a startup application is not something an average user would
want to do. Applications that have a reason to start with the session
should add themselves to that list. The "average user" task is to
enable or disable a start up application.

Now that's no reason no to make the experience of adding a new
application simpler, but I'd argue that the bug importance is correct.

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer
<http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=a.starr.b%40gmail.com>