Re: Ubuntu apps

I am glad to see the idea of Libre Office icons being re-proposed. I had this idea proposed over ubuntu brainstorm during the development cycle of Ubuntu 11.04 http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/27661/ trying to give a solution about the "confusing icons of Libre Calc" according the usability test http://lwn.net/Articles/438678/ but back then it was not accepted as good idea.

What i proposed was :
"Personally I have removed the default icons (writer, calc, presentation) from launcher and just added the "one icon for Libre office" that starts the entire office suite.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean : https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gu7f0Y6byzodgdykQQFlaQ?feat=directlink <https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gu7f0Y6byzodgdykQQFlaQ?feat=directlink>

The icon is available if you search for Libre office in Unity Dash. Its the one that is in gray-white color without a name under the icon. Drag it and place it on launcher. if you press it it will launch the Libre office Startup Center where you can see all the available suites (writer, cal, presentation, draw, etc.). Then you can click to whichever you want.

I have done this to all the installations, for friends and colleges and they totally understand what is the purpose of the icon. Initially they where also confused by the cal icon where they thought it was a calculator. After I have put the L.Office Start up Center icon in the Launcher, they clicked it to see what it was and then the saw that it is a complete office suite."

I see that this idea is re-opened as a usability bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/864057

Hope this will be resolved until 12.04 stable.