Re: HUD activation key

Hi,

if we have alt+find, why do we need ctrl+f?
having both is redundant

if we have alt+save, why do we need ctrl+s?
having both is redundant

eliminate ctrl+f, ctrl+s, ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+v etc
move alt to ctrl

Best regards,
Pedro Bessa

Em 29-03-2012 18:40, Barry Warsaw escreveu:
Hi.

Mark suggested that this is the right place to discuss the HUD summoning key
binding problem.  I only just subscribed; I tried to read up only on the
recent messages in this mailing list, so apologies if I missed some previous
discussion and for breaking the threading.

Like Jamu, I'm a heavy Emacs users so I remap the physical CapsLock key to
left-control.  But I actually swap them because, I do occasionally want a
caps-lock behavior, e.g. to type ALL_CAPS_CONSTANTS_IN_FILES.

Like Jamu, I don't *personally* use right-Alt much, but I can't speak for
anybody else.  My gut tells me that binding HUD to control-<anything>  or
alt-<anything>  is going to make Emacs users very sad.

I think Unity has been fairly lucky with taking over the Super key, which on
one of my desktops gets mapped to the physical Windows key and on another,
gets mapped to the option key.  A Super-<something>  for HUD seems like a
natural then.  I think/hope this would allow power users who need to move the
Super modifier to a different physical key could do that to customize both
Unity and HUD in one (key)stroke. :)

Ultimately I think keyboard real-estate is so limited and existing use so
deeply historical that, while it's perfectly fine to make an opinionated
default choice, it has to be configurable for both Unity 2d and 3d.

Cheers,
-Barry