Re: A lot of clutter in the Applications Lens

On 4 April 2012 02:31, Britt Yazel <bwyazel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In the Unity applications lens, there are dozens of applications listed
> that are also listed in system settings menu. Considering the system-
> settings window can be reached by clicking on the upper-right-hand-
> corner drop down menu, as well as from the "system settings" application
> launcher in the Application lens, is it really necessary to have all of
> those same programs listed in the application lens? There are over 20
> duplicate and un-needed applications cluttering and getting in the way
> of the applications that people 'want' to get to.

Are you just talking about the App lens or also on the Home lens?  On
the Home lens this is a useful feature as it allows these items to be
initiated using the Dash and keyboard without messing about with the
mouse.  Just hit Super and type appea and hit return to get Appearance
settings, for example.

> Also, in the application lens there are logout, lock screen, restart,
> and shut down buttons present. Why is this? Those options are not even
> applications....having them in the applications menu makes it seem as if
> "shut down" is a program that can be run, rather than an integrated part
> of the operating system. Basically, these 4 options have no place in the
> application lens, as they are not even applications, as well as already
> being listed in the system drop down menu (in the upper right hand
> corner).

Similarly one can shut down by Super, shu, Enter.  Much quicker than
reaching for the mouse and waving it about all over the place.

> If the end goal is to make unity more user friendly and more organized,
> I just listed 27 items that can be removed from the application menu
> with, from what I can tell, no adverse consequences.
>
> On a freshly installed system there are over 90 applications listed, and
> I have heard from many people that this is an annoyance and a "turn off"

I do agree here, some categorisatioin of the apps would be useful.

Colin