Re: global menù possible modification

On Thu 05 Apr 2012 03:07:28 PM CEST, supernova wrote:
2012/4/5 Ryan Gauger<rtgkid@xxxxxxxxx>:
I think it is fine the way it is now. I do not think anything should be changed with the Global Menu. Mac OS X has their finder bar on all of the time just like Ubuntu currently does.
Ubuntu is not Mac OS X
I do not see a lot of Mac users complaining about that. In fact, I
have not seen any Mac users complain about the finder bar. If this
were to be implemented, I think it should be an option in CCSM, not by
default in Ubuntu. What I like about Ubuntu is, like it states in the
online ads, Ubuntu is both fast and well built. So I can already see
some of Windows and Mac OS X in Ubuntu, and one of those features is
the Global Menu bar, which can also be found in OS X. Thanks!
I like global menù and it is one of the five/six reasons (maybe 10)
for which I use Unity, but I think that this could improve windows...
Supernova

I like Supernova's proposal behavior which is,

1. Have global menu only on maximised windows
2. Have the application menu on normal windows

However, please note that this was already presented in this length bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/682788 in comment #153. However this issue is being worked on by the developers with the concept of locally implemented menu (LIM) which I think can help this situation.

Until LIM is release it is too early to talk about its advantages and disadvantages. So just wait for LIM to be released to see the progress of the global menu issue. Although I am curious, how do Mac users find the global menu comfortable on a large monitor?

Nekhelesh