Re: will be compiz dropped in favour of qt?

On 10/04/12 19:55, Pavol Klačanský wrote:
Hi,

I just wonder if unity 2d will become main unity and compiz will be
dropped. (I prefer this)

I guess this might be a UDS discussion topic. I think dropping the hardware accelerated desktop would be a very strange thing to do, unless it makes more sense under Wayland to do this. I don't see much benefit in having the unity stuffrendered by compiz (or in the odd nux layer which doesn't actually work with compiz even though it is a compiz plugin) but I do see a lot of benefit in having the desktop rendered in openGL as this gives us a fantastic zoom facility, colour filters, show mouse and other accessibility plugins. If we can get all of this with Wayland and unity2d works with it rather than against it then yay, fantastic. Most of unity doesn't really matter if it is 2d or 3d, just the wall plugin is slow and lacks antialiasing in unity2d (the wall just confuses people who are not into multiple desktops and those who do like them wish it was the cube instead so I wouldn't be crying if that went away). It seems the one and only reason for unity to be in nux and outside the scope of compiz is to get the wall to work which means that Unity misses out on all the good stuff that compiz can add.

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk