Re: question

On 15/04/12 03:55, Michael Hall wrote:
Alt is already strongly associated with accessing a window's menus, it makes sense as the activation key for HUD (except for emacs users, evidently) Michael Hall mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx
I changed my HUD key to alt+super because if you are in a full screen virtualbox VM and you want to get to the menu of an application in the virtual machine and press alt then the HUD of the host steals focus and pops up over the virtual machine guest. This is bug 806255 which has been fixed and reverted and now probably won't get fixed in Precise at all. I think the idea of using a meta key to do something that isn't meta is a bad idea, it just causes problems. Alt should modify the action of the keypress you are combining with it, not do something itself. Super brings up the dash, alt-Super brings up the HUD which is dash-like but alternate. Personally I would like the default HUD key to be alt+Super, it is easy to press and it doesn't cause the litany of problems we have had with the single alt key press.

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk