Authenticating lenses

Most of the lenses I want to write are for local applications that require authentication. So I might want a lens for OpenERP, for Alfresco, for vTiger CRM, for a local bugzilla, or even for proprietary stuff, like a SAP lens or a Peoplesoft lens. I don't know how to ask the user for credentials. What I kind of want to do is have the lens in a dormant state until the user visits the lens and provides their configuration information. Something like this:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/authlens.png

there are a number of outstanding questions I don't know the answers to for this:

Where should the credentials be stored (gnome-keyring?)

What to do if there are multiple scopes providing data for one lens?

How to present oauth type connections?

Has anyone else got lenses that connect to sources that require authentication?

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk

Follow ups