Re: managing packages

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Michele Giacomoli
<michele.giacomoli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems the description of the computer-janitor, but in Ubuntu 12.04 it's
> not installed in the system. I know i can install it running sudo apt-get
> install computer-janitor, but a newbie doesn't know that. Moreover a newbie
> doesn't think he has to clean his pc, so the application should clean the
> system automatically without asking the user anything. This behavoir should
> have the possibility to be disabled from a skilled user if he wants.
>
> So, the core of the application already exists, now we have to make it work
> in the right way, and provide this service out of the box.

My understanding is that computer-janitor was the attempt to
accomplish this task, but it didn't come out very well (ie, it
sucked).  I'm guessing that someone in the Ubuntu community decided
that it was easier to just hide the kernels rather than try to figure
out an appropriate time to remove a particular kernel.  And that is
how the current situation came about (again, I'm guessing).

I just posted that link so you could see that thought and effort has
already been applied to this.  I really don't know what direction you
can take it.

Dan