Re: Pinning to the launcher more precisely than the application level

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM, shane lee <shaneymail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It makes sense to me and there are times when I have wanted to pin a
> document to the launcher that I'm working on.
>
> More than anything, I would love to be able to drag a tab from chromium to
> the launcher and it would turn it into a web app or something.

This already works for me:
1. Wrench menu->Tools->Create Application Shortcuts...
2. Make sure the shortcut will be on the desktop. (It's the default for me.)
3. Click "Create".
4. Move the created object (it's a .desktop file) to the place where
you keep those things.
5. Drag it to the launcher and drop it when you see the plus sign.

I'm actually using Chrome, and I don't know if there's a difference.

Getting the launcher to accept a tab from Chrome or Chromium is really
a matter of getting those to make the correct drag offer. I don't know
that they actually bother with XDnD (the drag and drop protocol we all
use) because tabs are only being moved around within the program.

More generally, Nautilus could put files on the launcher by offering a
.desktop file as the drag object. Nautilus would have to create that
.desktop file, specifying the program to open and the actual file as
an argument to it. To avoid breaking the launcher when you move the
file, Nautilus would have to also make a hard link to it. It could
keep both the .desktop and the hard link in some secret Nautilus
directory.

Cheers,
Greg