Re: So long, printing menu, we hardly knew you

On 05/15/2012 06:33 AM, Jonathan Meek wrote:
I think this raises a more important issue: If an indicator remains miss
able (as I believe it was said messaging menu suffers from as well) does
this mean we're doing indicators wrong or is it down to learned
behaviors working against users?

In case of the messaging menu, I think it's not a bug but a feature, that at least I have to actively look for it, to see if I have new mails. That means it does not distract me, yet allows me to get that little piece of information very quickly, when I look for it.

The circumstances for the printing menu are different, starting with the fact that it is not always present.

What happened to the plans to put some common functionality into app-level indicators? Printing surely would have been a candidate?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/