Re: proposal for making ubuntu really faster

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM, supernova <supernova.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got this idea: let's start automatically the icons on the launcher
> at login, or at least the most used (I know preload and so on...) as
> nautilus, firefox, libreoffice. This will give the perception of fast
> start at the first click.
> So as you log in nautilus will be opened and reduced to icon on the
> launcher. When a user clicks on nautilus icon, it will open as fast as
> it was reduced to icon, and not as if we had to open it for the first
> time.
> What do you all think?

Nautilus already runs on login to draw the desktop and its menu. If
it's slow to open a folder, you must have a different problem.

(I seem to have a problem with gmail sending a message before it's
finished. When did this turn into facebook?)

I noticed recently that Google Chrome runs windowless automatically. I
didn't ask for this, and was quite annoyed at the presumption on
Google's part. I've let it be since I do usually run it.

There are people who take whatever IT gives them, ignore what they
don't need, and never use things like LibreOffice. The ignore it so
much they won't remove LibreOffice from the launcher. They may notice
their computer seems to run more slowly than it should and never
suspect something they never use is running in the background.

> Well, it won't make Ubuntu run faster, but will give perception of it,
> but in some sense, world is perception and appearance...

My phone is a more powerful computer than the computer I used 10 years
ago. More RAM, faster CPU, probably some graphics acceleration too. It
is simply absurd to not have apps (or log in or boot) not start fast
enough to go unnoticed. It seems iOS, or maybe just some apps, tries
to do the trick where it shows a screenshot of the last screen shown
to make loading appear instantaneous. It's not working, and if that's
not what it's doing, I can't say why it seems like it is.