Re: dropping the top panel shadow

On 03/06/12 19:30, Ryan Gauger wrote:
Isn’t there a better way to deal with this?
yes, by changing the way the top panel shadow works altogether.
I think the bugs could probably be fixed semi-easily by someone who knows how to (I don’t know how to fix bugs).
having looked at the code and with a modicum of understanding, I think the bugs are not that trivial to fix without causing other problems and this is papering over the cracks. It really is problematic to assert that bugs are easy to fix without at least looking at the code.
IMHO, the top panel shadow does add to the desktop experience. It adds dimension to the desktop and panel. I think it looks really flat, like Unity 2d without the shadow. Thanks!
I would like it to be the same colour as the unity launcher and possibly with shadows done properly (like menus casting the same kind of shadow with the same light source direction as if they were on the same z height as the panel and launcher etc.) as this shadow is not done properly and I assert it is not easily fixable it should be removed. (if someone wants to say it is easy to fix in the current state then they should be willing to fix it) Right now the launcher does not cast a shadow, the top bar has a shadow sometimes, menus have a little shadow, the dash and hud have a different shadow size. I don't believe there is a consistent policy on light source direction, colour and size or perceived z-height of these elements. Doing it properly would be great. Doing it badly leading to artifacts being drawn over a running presentation is worse than not doing it at all.
In Christ,
Ryan
Sent from my Windows 8 PC <http://windows.microsoft.com/consumer-preview>
gosh.