Re: need the "open with" option in dash

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Chris Druif <chrisdruif@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Wouldn't be easier if I could choose in the dash the application?
>> A solution could be the appearing, on the bottom of the dash, a set of
>> icons related to the possible applications. What do you think? Need a
>> picture?
> <snip>
>
> For fun I'd like to see a picture of what you mean, but I think a
> right-click menu would be simpler? That menu should also be callable via
> that menu-button on your keyboard (on the right side between Shift and
> Control if I'm not mistaking). I don't know if we could or should add other
> options in there.

I don't know about "Open With" (or "Open As") for the Dash, but I've
mentioned here or in a bug report that there's no indication of how
something will "open". On one Windows PC at work, I have scripts which
run by default instead of opening in a text editor. I'm not even sure
that works in Nautilus on my own computer, and so far the Dash only
opens for editing. . . . Oh, I see. Nautilus prompts me. Sigh.

I would add Click+Hold for menu activation.

Tap+Hold would require a different menu style because of the tapping
finger blocking the screen. I suggest shamelessly stealing from iOS;
it's what Jobs would have done.