Re: Any thought about the new gnome 3.6 UI?

Hi,

As I said before I don't like the new "spatial memory" idea. It may
work if the computer is used and administered by a single person. But
it is clearly a bad idea if the computer is shared or administered by
another person.

The whole idea is that the system starts without any applications at
all and the user will install an remember where the application was
placed.

Pitfalls:

0) Many applications have natural categories (loffice is an office
aplication). Why not start from there and let the user change the
categories if he sees the necessity instead of forcing the user the
make a decision after each application is installed.

1) Many users don't install applications, their machines are
administered by somebody else (husband/wife, mother/father, son that
knows about computers, TI sector, etc). So they won't be incrementally
installing applications. They will receive a computer with many
applications preloaded and will have to learn their position (or
reposition them) all at once.

2) Many computer are shared by people with different necessities. For
example in my place I am an Appl. Mathematician with a strong Computer
Science background. so I use lots of development, Mathematics and
Engineering tools. My wife uses mostly office+browser, my sons use
browser+games+educational programs. So our computers have many
applications installed naturally. Many of those applications are not
known by other users (my son does not know what emacs or Lyx is for).
So for them it will be hard to decide what are their proper position
in their system.

One of the main problems is that it seems from reading the web page if
one user can "import" the organization made by another user to use it
as a starting point. That would help to attenuate the problems
described above. I hope that gnome shell users think about this.

best,

Paulo