Re: Worrying nautilus development direction, New default file manager?

I think the proposal to swap Nautilus with Marlin should at least be made part of the agenda for discussion/consideration at UDS-R.

Some of the things GNOME is removing from nautilus is probably good. When it officially lands, it may not be that bad. But regardless, it never hurts to discuss the Marlin idea at UDS.

From: bwat47@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:09:52 -0400
To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Unity-design] Worrying nautilus development direction,	New default file manager?

Gnome has started tearing out nautilus features left and right during gnome 3.6 development: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/vyyw9/heads_up_on_changes_in_nautilus_for_36/,
 and making some very questionable design decisions, such as this
incredibly ugly and pointless name shortening that makes the breadcrumb
impossible to read: http://iloveubuntu.net/nautilus-352-landed-ubuntu-1210-new-features-and-removals

I think its looking like ubuntu should start looking into a new default
 file manager, since gnome seems intent on tearing nautilus apart,
something like marlin (https://launchpad.net/marlin) looks like it has potential.

Thoughts?