Re: Very awesome design mockup

On Jul 27, 2012, at 12:28 PM, "Chad M. Germann" <cgermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 16:56 +0100, Christian Giordano wrote:
>> Hi Britt, could you please clarify what is awesome in this mockup that
>> Ubuntu would NEED?
>
> the Application navigation is a major improvement Note how application
> nav. is opened as soon as one opens the dash  the Applicatiuon lens
> presentation was also clearer
>
>> Even the scrollbar is on the left!
>
> Scrollbars belong on the left moving them to the right was a
> macintoshism some more traditional Unix applications (that can be
> installed on Ubuntu retain the scroll bar on the left from days of yor
>
> for example xedit,gv, emacs23-lucid
>
> Ubuntu should embrace its Unix heritage and move all those scrollbars to
> the left.

Scrollbars have been on the right ever since I've been alive. It's not natural for them to be on the left. We can't exactly do it even if we wanted to either, because it wouldn't work with a lot of apps that use scrollbars. Ubuntu would lose a lot of users if we moved scrollbars to the left. I don't have any proof, but I just know we would. Moving scrollbars to the left is just not practical. Those are my thoughts on this subject.

---Ryan