Re: Very awesome design mockup

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 17:13 -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Chad M. Germann <cgermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > . . .
> > Ubuntu should embrace its Unix heritage and move all those scrollbars to
> > the left.
>
> Are you trolling?

I am to Old to flamebate or troll (or whatever it is you kids like to
call it these days) But I was embracing that oldest of hacker traditions
of "Ha Ha Only serious" to simply point out that scroll bars on the left
is not all that uncommon and there is historical president for it going
back to Xerox PARC and still lingers on some software that is in the
Ubuntu Repos.

> I remember at least 4 different kinds of scroll bars offhand. Some of them quite painful.

One question how is a widget painful? A widget such as a scroll bar
simply does its job. How it looks or is of secondary concern as long as
a person can use it to scroll and it vaguely demonstrates a position in
a document it is a good widget

> Thank you, however, for not suggesting scroll bar side should be an option.
Unity does not need that kind of options (which are handled in the theme engine anyway) there are some it DOES need however to make us
Old timers more happy with it Key bindings (IBM model M Keyboard anyone?) a static global menu

(but that is not the focus of this thread)

Getting back to the point of this thread the Mock up did show some
improvements to application lens that would improve application
discovery for example it currently takes 4 clicks to see the full
application list and categories filter. In the mock up it takes 1

most of what was shown was tripe eyecandy but the app lens needs a good
hard looking at.