[Ayatana-dev] [Announce] Unity 0.2.28 Released

Hi,

I'm going to assume we're skipping over the whole "you don't actually
post this weekly like you promised" thing, and straight onto the
goodies:

What's New?

- Home Screen when you click the Ubuntu button
  This is the first thing you see upon clicking the Ubuntu button, and
  is a set of activities to (hopefully) get you where you want to go
  quickly. It's meant to be new-user friendly, but still be useful after
  you've learnt Unity. The search entry is still focused, and typing
  something will perform a global search and replace the home screen.
  Final visuals for this will land next week (I know it's a bit
  confusing right now).

- Undecorated Maximised Windows
  I'm a bit shocked it took so long, but it was definitely my bad
  (getting stuck on something I really shouldn't have!). Maximised
  windows should undecorate and their decorations should be restored
  when they are unmaximised. The window buttons have been updated to
  use the Ambience beta theme if it's installed.

- Enhanced Workspace Switching/Manipulation
  The workspace switcher should be performing much better now and it
  also allows you to move windows between the workspaces.

- Removable Media Support
  Plugged-in media such as USB keys/Cameras/CD-Drives will show up in
  the launcher, allowing you to launch a file-manager at the location
  they are mounted and also allowing you to eject them.

Notable Bugfixes

- Lots and lots of launcher tweaks, more to follow
- Updated Quicklist Visuals (part 1)
- Visual notification when no results are returned/section is empty
- Lot's of bug-fixing to the places, lot's more left
- Most Used group will honour the current section
- Lots of other fixes :)

Major issues that we know about (and are working on)
- Support for radeon driver needs major love
- Places have slowed down over the past week, we're working on a fix
- Multi-monitor fixes (I know, I promised this ages ago)
- Places needs all the final visual design integrated
- Memory leak in Intel GPU driver with quicklists

On last count, there are > 100 open bugs. The next couple of weeks is
going to be hectic, but please keep testing and reporting bugs, we will
get through as many as possible.

Thanks,

--
Neil Jagdish Patel