Re: [Ayatana-dev] [Ayatana] Alt Tab User Experience

On 05/26/2011 06:25 AM, GonzO wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Dylan McCall<dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Mutter, if I recall correctly, continues with Metacity's convention of
storing a window thumbnail before it is minimized. Meanwhile, Gnome
Shell's alt tab dialog doesn't show window icons. It shows application
icons and window thumbnails.

My Unity's default alt+tab behavior shows app icons as emblems over
window thumbnails... and I'm sure I did nothing to set that up on my
own.

Does yours not do this?

Please be aware that metacity has actualy two modes of operation: one is the regular mode and the other is the compositor mode. You can control what mode it using by looking with gconf-editor at the key /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager

In the regular mode it just works as a regular plain old WM and the alt-tab shows only icons.

In the compositor mode it uses the X11 Composite extension to do some fancy effects with windows, most prominently a drop shadow below windows and semi-transparent windows for those that require it (i don't know of any application that does require that thought).

One other important effect of the compositor mode is that the alt-tab dialog will display screenshots of the windows instead of just icons.

This works also for windows that are minimized because in compositor mode metacity saves the pixmap for a window before it's minimized (it does not normally do that in regular mode, unless patched with a patch like the one we used to have for the unity-2d session).

Hope this helps,
--
Ugo