Re: [Ayatana-dev] Smoke-GObject bindings project progress

Hey Richard,

Richard Dale a écrit :
> At UDS I had a meeting with David Barth and Florian Boucault about a
> project to automatically wrap Gnome GObject based libraries for use with
> Qt C++/QML projects. It could then be used to wrap a common library that
> could be used by both the Unity-3D and Unity-2D shells.

I didn’t associate your name to your great contributions when Aurélien
introduced us quickly at UDS, too bad, I would have loved to discuss the
topic more with you.

> I made a start at UDS and got the project checked out of the KDE
> playground SVN and built it against the latest version of GObject
> Introspection. Since, UDS I've been working on it fulltime and it is
> beginning to be *almost* useful. I've implemented function calling and
> argument marshalling so that function, constructor and method calls now
> work.

That sounds great, I can’t wait to try it out!

> […]
>
> I've just created a Launchpad project at
> https://launchpad.net/smoke-gobject/ and people are welcome to check out
> the code and try it out. I probably need to add some build instructions
> about which ubuntu dev packages need to be installed though.

That would be super helpful, I’m eager to play with it but like most of
us I’m lazy and I don’t want to waste too much time getting it to work ;)

> When I started on the project I wrote these blogs:
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3878
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3894
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3899
>
> I'll try and write another blog soon to describe the recent progress in
> more detail than I've done in this mail.

I remember reading those and playing a bit with your code when we first
started to consider binding libbamf, libgconf and libdee in Qt at the
very beginning of unity-2d.
Looking forward to the next instalments of the series.

Cheers,

Olivier