Re: [Ayatana-dev] using GDB

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 22:26 +0100, valentin rouxel wrote:
> My name is Valentin. I am a French student in computer science. I
> would like involve to fix bitesize bug and I am interested by the bug
> 772817.
> It seems I could use a debugger like GDB but I don't know how use it.
> I have already used some debuggers (with eclypse, visual studio) but
> never on an already running piece of software like unity.
>
> Could someone explain me how I can use GDB in this situation or
> indicate me a documentation ?

The best documentation on using GNU GDB is in the user manual that is
here:

  http://www.gnu.org/s/gdb/documentation/

For Unity you might like to be able to attach to the running Unity which
involves a slight trick:

  gdb /usr/bin/compiz -p `pidof compiz`

But remember, if you attach to your running window manager and you
break, you have no window management.  Sometimes it's better to run that
in a virtual terminal.

		--Ted