Re: [Ayatana-dev] statusicon -> AppIndicator (popup-menu signal)

On 24 October 2011 23:16, Alex Cornejo <acornejo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am porting an application from StatusIcon to use AppIndicator. This
> particular app uses RandR extension to let the user manage multiple
> screens, resolutions and layouts. Right now I generate the menu on the
> fly when I get the popup-menu signal, which works flawlessly. This
> doesn't seem to be possible with AppIndicator, could someone with
> experience in AppIndicator with it could suggest me a good
> alternative?
>
> Another "clean" alternative, would be to somehow try to listen for
> changes in the devices which are plugged in, perhaps using some dbus
> message which is generated when a second monitor is plugged in
> (although this is probably handled by udev, and I do not know if dbus
> currently generates events for this). I am not even sure that this is
> possible.
>
> A simple, yet horrible solution would be to simply regenerate the menu
> every X seconds, using a timeout. However, this hack is to dirty for
> me to even consider.
>
> If at all possible, I would love to just hook to some signal that
> AppIndicator generates (or should generate) whenever the user first
> clicks on one of the app indicators and the menu needs to be produced.
> Looking through the documentation, I am not sure this is possible
> either, please advise how to proceed. I asked this question several
> times in IRC and got no reply, perhaps I'll get better luck here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Hello,

As of now there is no signal to indicate that the menu was triggered.
Instead, you're expected to pass a working menu on during
initialisation and let it use that. This has caused problems in other
implementations, you might want to check how nm-applet (Network
Manager's applet) and indicator-power solved this.

The bug report requesting the signal you asked about can be found at
<https://launchpad.net/bugs/522152>, if you're interested in keeping
track of it.

Regards,
--