[Ayatana-dev] Technical considerations for the dash home in Precise

Hi all,

So, as you may know; we're slated to revamp the dash home Precise https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/885738.

Option 2 in the bug is trivial to do, so let's not talk about that. Option 1 oth requires some thinking in order to do in a clean way. Of course we can hard code it in as a hack in the first cut, but that's not something I think we can ship (consider that in Oneiric the More Apps shortcut in the home screen becomes defunct when unity-lens-applications is uninstalled which is not quite elegant :-)).

To do option 1 properly I propose we add some way lenses can advertise categories in their global results models that should show up on the home screen. We need this because John's draft requires us to show both the Recent Files and Downloads categories from the files lens - and currently the dash just collates all results from a lens in global search under the same category (named after the lens).

This also implies that we must be able to show more than on category per lens when searching from the home screen as we'll need the search in the files lens to segregate results from Recent Files and Downloads in distinct categories.

Comments?

Cheers,
Mikkel