[Ayatana-dev] Unity-2D and Qt5

Hi,

even if Qt5 is scheduled for next year, I think we should play in
advance and start doing some tests.
Qt5 is already accessible and compilable (we can follow these
instructions: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git
) and there are already some examples running on Nokia N9/N950.

I think we should procede with the following steps:

1) Build Qt5 on Ubuntu Oneiric and see if there are all the required deps
2) prepare a PPA with experimental Qt5 packages (I'd like to do this,
but I really need some help, because for example I really don't know
how to split a program in more packages).
3) once the PPA works, we try to build Unity-2D using Qt5 libs and we
start to see which changes we're going to face once the final release
will be out.
4) if we can successfully build Unity-2D using Qt5.... well, we can
start experimenting on it, measuring the performance improvements,
ecc....

What do you think about? Is there anyone already working on this? If
not I'd like to start, if yes I would be glad to help.

Best regards,

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it