Re: [Ayatana-dev] Small changes to unity's build system

On 12/05/2011 04:45 PM, Gord Allott wrote:

Hey all, so the past week or so I've had to deal with getting unity's
test infrastructure into shape. which has resulted in a few changes we
should all be aware of.

First of the annoyances, we now have three gtest executionables,
test-gtest, test-gtest-xless, test-gtest-dbus. they do what you might
thing, tests, tests that do not require X and tests that require dbus -
which are run with dbus-test-runner and our test service.

make check will run all our tests, but we also now have the headless
target, so make check-headless will run only the tests that work without
an X server.

Now for the good stuff, whilst I was there I noticed we have a few
standalone clients, which are various components of unity that run
without requiring the rest of unity or compiz. these are fantastic but
really a developer only tool, so I moved them all into a new make target
that is not built by default.

The make target for these is standalone-clients, so "make
standalone-clients" will build them, if you want to build absolutely
*everything* then you need make all standalone-clients.

by not building these by default we cut our build times in half and
reduce the disk space footprint by a good 500mb or so

for the interested you can even target specific standalone clients, so
for example to just build the dash standalone client, its dependencies
and nothing else (not even the compiz plugin) you would run "make dash"

This sounds awesome Gord :-)

Any chance that these things are documented in the README/HACKING?

Cheers,
Mikkel